Practical information

So you have a job, that’s great! But be careful, there is some important practical information regarding working in the Netherlands that you need to know first.

As soon as you have an official employment contract, you need to take out Dutch health insurance. Our section on health insurance covers everything you need to know about insurance in the Netherlands.

Students from the EU, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland do not need a work permit in order to take up a part-time job. Students from Japan do not need a work permit, but they do need a residence permit.

If you come from any other country, you will need a work permit. You cannot apply for a work permit yourself; it is something your employer has to do for you. Furthermore, immigration laws restrict the number of hours you can work each week. You may either work seasonal full-time employment or part-time throughout the year (maximum 10 hours per week). You cannot do both.

If you work you will also be required to pay income tax. Your Dutch income for the year is added up and you have to pay tax on the total. A scholarship that you receive can be counted as income and added to the total. For more information about this complicated issue, you may contact the human resource department of your employer or the Tax & Customs Administration’s inquiry desk for individuals (Belastingdienst particulieren). The telephone number is 0800-0543, or visit their website.

Give feedback