Practical information

As soon as you have an official employment contract, you need to take out Dutch health insurance. Our section on health insurance covers everything you need to know about insurance in the Netherlands.

For students of the EU and Switzerland, you do not need work permit in order to take up a part-time job. For students of Croatia, transitional rules still apply so you still need a work permit. Students from Japan do not need a work permit, but they do need a residence permit.

If you come from any other country, you will need a work permit. You cannot apply for a work permit yourself; it is something your employer has to do for you. Furthermore, immigration laws restrict the number of hours you can work each week. You may either work seasonal full-time employment or part-time throughout the year (maximum 10 hours per week). You cannot do both.

If you work you will also be required to pay income tax. Your Dutch income for the year is added up and you have to pay tax on the total. A scholarship that you receive can be counted as income and added to the total. For more information about this complicated issue, you may contact the human resource department of your employer or the Tax & Customs Administration’s inquiry desk for individuals (Belastingdienst particulieren). The telephone number is 0800-0543, or visit their website.

Give feedback

We're here to help you

See information that is out of date or inaccurate, a link that is not working, or a sentence you don’t understand? Then please let us know by filling out this form – we will implement the changes as soon as possible and get back to you should we have further questions.

Highlighting something on our website will trigger a pop-up so that you can share a certain part of our website to your Twitter or Facebook account. This may come in handy if someone else has specific question related to life in Maastricht or there’s a piece of information you want to share with your friends, followers or acquaintances.

If you need off-line help with filling out an application or finding specific information, you can turn to the International Service Desk (given that you are a student at UM). We collaborate closely and one of our colleagues will welcome you and assist you at the reception of the Student Services Center (SSC, located at Bonnefantenstraat 2, 6211KL, Maastricht) from Monday to Friday from 13.00 until 17.00. If you are not a student at UM step by the Holland Expat Centre South. They help every international in the Maastricht Region with all kind of issues.