Rights & Obligations as Tenant

Dutch law specifies specific obligations for the landlord and the tenant. These legally determined rules are called the mandatory laws and apply when no diverging rules have been established. Every tenant, also students, can call upon their rental rights. In this section, you can find information on subletting your room, registering your address or terminating your contract, as well as a general overview of your rights and obligations in a tenancy agreement.

Quite often, different rules apply to students who rent a room, in comparison with regular tenants. Students are, for example, not allowed to rent a student apartment after they have been unsubscribed from being a student. In case you think that your rights are being compromised by the landlord, you can receive legal assistance.

No matter whether you are renting an apartment/studio or a room in a student house, the general obligations are as follows:

Tenants must:

  • Pay the monthly rent on time.
  • Follow the agreed house rules.
  • Allow repairs to be made (within a reasonable period) as part of the maintenance of your place.
  • Give notice of one rental payment to terminate the rental contract.

Landlords must:

  • Ensure availability of the property within the agreed rental period.
  • Cover any necessary repairs (within a reasonable period) as part of the maintenance of your place.
  • Solve any problems affecting the tenant (plumbing, electricity, internet, etc.)
  • Give valid reasons and notice (three to six months) to terminate the rental contract.
Give feedback

We're here to help you

See information that is out of date or inaccurate, a link that is not working, or a sentence you don’t understand? Then please let us know by filling out this form – we will implement the changes as soon as possible and get back to you should we have further questions.

Highlighting something on our website will trigger a pop-up so that you can share a certain part of our website to your Twitter or Facebook account. This may come in handy if someone else has specific question related to life in Maastricht or there’s a piece of information you want to share with your friends, followers or acquaintances.

If you need off-line help with filling out an application or finding specific information, you can turn to the International Service Desk (given that you are a student at UM). We collaborate closely and one of our colleagues will welcome you and assist you at the reception of the Student Services Center (SSC, located at Bonnefantenstraat 2, 6211KL, Maastricht) from Monday to Friday from 13.00 until 17.00. If you are not a student at UM step by the Holland Expat Centre South. They help every international in the Maastricht Region with all kind of issues.