Zorgtoeslag application living outside the Netherlands

Who is this for?

Students who work in the Netherlands but live abroad (for example commuting from Aachen in Germany), are also obliged to take out Dutch basic health insurance (basisverzekering).

If this is your case, you may also be interested in applying for zorgtoeslag, a Dutch subsidy that (partly) covers your health Dutch basic insurance costs. However, because you live abroad, you have to follow different steps for the subsidy application in order to get the health insurance benefits. This is because you cannot get a DigiD account if you live abroad unless you are Dutch.

How can I apply?

The following steps must be taken:

  • Call the Belastingdienst Tax Office: +31(0)555385385. They speak German, Dutch and English, so you can call them yourself. On the Phone, they will ask for your BSN number, birthdate and address to confirm your personal information.
  • In case your bank account is not known to them, you have to give them your bank account details:
    1. If it’s a Dutch bank account you can submit your information via phone.
    2. If it’s a German bank account you’ll need to send them a bank statement in the post.

Note: both German and Dutch accounts are OK!

Within 10 working days, the tax office will send the form for the subsidy application that you need to fill out and send back to them. Based on this information, the Belastingdienst decides whether you are eligible for the benefit or not.

Give feedback

Official partner of: