Psychological support

Moving to a new city can be stressful. Fortunately, there are many options for you when it comes to mental health and any worries about your studies or life in general.

Issues in Family or Social Life

If you’re experiencing personal issues, like with your work, income, or even loneliness, you can contact Maastricht’s Social Team of your neighbourhood. You can find their contact information here.  

You can also always contact your family doctor (GP) and they can refer you further if needed. 

Psychological Support at Maastricht University

What options are available?

Maastricht University (UM) offers a range of psychological support services to help you with any problems you might have, from anxiety about your studies to eating disorders. Some of the options are:

  • The Wellbeing Movement (WBM). This is an initiative promoting physical and mental wellbeing at UM. The WBM offers a yearly Wellbeing Week, regular Wellbeing Wednesdays and Wellbeing Evenings. These are set up to give you tools for a healthy and happy student life.
  • Students can also book an online Quick Psychological Referral (QPR), a ten-minute online meeting with a university psychologist where you can talk about your current situation and ask your most relevant questions. The UM psychologists will refer you to the right support, if needed.
  • One of the options the QPR may open is support from UM psychologists. You can receive five free sessions each year. 
  • At the Inner City Library (ICL) and Randwyck Library, you can find the Mindfulnest. In this lovingly made, stimulus-free cabin, you can take a mindful break between your study periods and recharge your batteries.

The other two main types of psychological support offered by UM are individual appointments or group sessions. Individual appointments can help you if you need to talk to someone about your problems. These can be anything from study-related issues, anxiety and depression to conflicts with family, etc. The group workshops provide training for students on issues like mindfulness, stress management, and loss and mourning.

Psychological Support at Zuyd University

For students at Zuyd University, there is also student guidance in the form of academic and student counsellors. You can refer to the former with all your study-related questions, including any doubts about your course and general academic direction. Student counsellors, on the other hand, are there to help you with any issues you encounter in your daily student life, either because of your studies or private reasons. Zuyd also offers the opportunity to talk to student psychologists and confidential advisors, who can help you deal with psychological problems and issues with bullying discrimination or aggression. You can find more information and contact details at this link.

If you ever have an emergency, it’s best call your own GP. For out of office hours, call the huisartsenpost on 043-387 7777. In case of a life-threatening emergency, call 112. 

Proofread and validated by
Give feedback

Official partner of: