Health insurance

If you already have European Health insurance and only study in the Netherlands then you don’t need to do anything! However, you must take out Dutch Health insurance if you:

  • do not have an EHIC card
  • are over the age of 30
  • work in the Netherlands (this is regardless of your coverage elsewhere. If you are employed in the Netherlands you will need Dutch health insurance.)

If you choose not to work in the Netherlands during your degree then you will not need Dutch insurance. However, if you get a job you must take out insurance as soon as possible or you will be violating Dutch law. We are here to guide you through this process. You should also take a look at our finances section to find out how to receive a subsidy in order to help cover your insurance costs.

An excellent page to visit if you’re struggling is the Zorgverzekeringslijn. Their website has incredibly detailed information for international students, as well as a hotline that you can call from abroad if you have questions. They also have a full dictionary of Dutch health terms if you are confused!

Give feedback