Terminating a contract

Once you rent an apartment, the agreement can only be terminated by the tenant (except under special circumstances). This means, for example, that the landlord cannot simply cancel your contract if he/she dislikes you. Visit this website to see the cases where a landlord may terminate a contract.

If you want to cancel the rent as a tenant, you can do this through a signed letter to the landlord, stating that you want to end the rental agreement.

You still have to deal with a notice when cancelling your rent. Normally, the notice equals the term of payment, which has been written down in the contract. For example, if you pay rent monthly, you have to give one month’s notice. Unless differently stated in the rental agreement, the cancellation of the rent needs to be done before the first day of the month.

Give feedback

We're here to help you

See information that is out of date or inaccurate, a link that is not working, or a sentence you don’t understand? Then please let us know by filling out this form – we will implement the changes as soon as possible and get back to you should we have further questions.

Highlighting something on our website will trigger a pop-up so that you can share a certain part of our website to your Twitter or Facebook account. This may come in handy if someone else has specific question related to life in Maastricht or there’s a piece of information you want to share with your friends, followers or acquaintances.

If you need off-line help with filling out an application or finding specific information, you can turn to the International Service Desk (given that you are a student at UM). We collaborate closely and one of our colleagues will welcome you and assist you at the reception of the Student Services Center (SSC, located at Bonnefantenstraat 2, 6211KL, Maastricht) from Monday to Friday from 13.00 until 17.00. If you are not a student at UM step by the Holland Expat Centre South. They help every international in the Maastricht Region with all kind of issues.